Friday, September 21, 2007

"Real Life" vs. "Work"

JMJ,

Ya know, it never ceases to amaze me just how driven by false things we Americans really are. Have you noticed that when people meet for the first time the question most asked is: "So, what do you do?" (Meaning of course, where do you work?) We are obsessed with work, work, work, work!

When asked what "I" do, I proudly proclaim that I am a Husband, Father, and a proud Slave of Our Lord Jesus through his most Holy Mother. I use my talents of cooking and languages to help me in the work of Apologetics and sharing the Good News of Christ. It is at this point that I get strange looks and clarifications. "No, I mean, what do you DO? Where do you work?"

Such a sad thing when so many people rather than working to live, LIVE to work. Their families suffer, their faith (if they had any to start with) dries to a barren desert, and they sacrifice their immortal souls to their false idol…. "I choose my job, my career, money, false power, etc. over God." That is what these people are truly saying……Yes, in this current society we must work to pay the bills and sure, you can find some enjoyment in working however; when you take your focus off of what REALLY matters then my friends, you have bowed to your master. Mammon!!!

I separate work form "real life." I had this conversation this morning with a young lady at my place of employment who lives to work, and she of course had the blank stare of someone who could not conceive of such a thing…I reminded her that no matter how much money you make, how many "things" you have purchased, how far up the Corporate Ladder you have climbed, or how great of an emplyoee you are....You cannot take that with you and when you stand before The Lord of the Universe to be judged, none of that will matter. What did you do with the talents and gifts he has bestowed upon you? What WORK did you do for His Kingdom and the salvation of souls?

I told her of how, last year when I was out of work for 6 mos. That was my favourite "job” My wife was working and I stayed home, did the cleaning, cooking (well, I ALWAYS do the cooking) had dinner on the table, and spent the whole day in prayer….THAT was my favorite "job" I have ever had. This young lady looked at me as though I had lizards crawling out of my nose! My true vocation is to Know, to love, to serve God in this life and be happy with Him in the next…..That's it period when it all boils down…I am not about the business of caring about false transitory things

Do YOU spend more time focusing on work than God? Do you assist at Holy Mass EVERY Sunday? Do you make FREQUENT use of the Sacrament of Confession? Are the false things of this world and Satan's pomps and works more important to you than your salvation and service to God?

It all comes back to the ultimate question, who or what is YOUR God???

No comments: